T1i / 500D VS Current 20D

Started Apr 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
PuterPro
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Re: T1i / 500D VS Current 20D
In reply to PuterPro, Apr 22, 2009

Another thought ... I have used DXO Labs software for several years (great stuff that!) and I remembered someone mentioned they had sensor charts, so I just ran a compare 20D vs 50D (the T1i / 500D is too new for them to have data but the 50D supposedly has virtually the same sensor) :

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/ (appareil1) 178|0 (appareil2) 267|0 (onglet) 0 (brand) Canon (brand2) Canon

I discovered that for all it's "NEW" technology the 50D scored LOWER on virtually all measurements - Tonal range & Color sensitivity in particular were significantly lower across the whole ISO range. It does, of course, have two levels of ISO sensitivity over the 20D, allowing one to get a shot where it might not be otherwise possible, but apparently at the expense of MORE noise in every other shot!!
That's quite a trade off.

I can't imagine that Canon UP'D the specs of the 500D to be better than the 50D?!? Could they have improved the noise specs? I'd think not ...
This gets more complicated.

PuterPro

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow