ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andre Sinclair
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Cheap 300mm Telephoto for Nikon D60
Apr 21, 2009

Hi all,

I’m very new to digital photography, having just purchased a Nikon D60 with an 18-55mm lens. My main interests are landscapes and wildlife photography, for the former the 18-55mm lens does the job, however for wildlife photography I need something with a bit more range. I tried out a friends Nikon 55mm-200mm lens, this gave good shots, but came up a little short for some bird pictures, therefore I’d like to purchase something that goes to a 300mm length. The other problem though is that my budget is very tight (Under £200), so I’m looking for a cheap lens that will do an adequate job and give me reasonably sharp pictures between 200-300mm. Looking online there appears to be 3 lenses that could do what I want for the price:

Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di with AF Motor
Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO Macro Super DG Lens
Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 Macro DG Lens

If anyone has used any of these lenses could you please let me know your opinion’s as I’m very undecided at the moment, however leaning slightly towards the Tamron. The only other definite requirement is that the lens has a built in auto focusing motor as the D60 doesn’t have a motor in the body. Also if I’ve missed off any lens options in the under £200 range please let me know.

I may look to purchase a higher quality and therefore much more expensive lens in 12-18 months time depending on how much I use this one, therefore this lens purchase will be just to keep me going for this period.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,

Andre

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow