Started Apr 20, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stujoe
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,856
Like?
E510/620 Highlights Difference
Apr 20, 2009

I don't usually do 'test' of cameras from one to another but from the first shot I took with my E620, I noticed a lack of blinkies on the highlight screen. It sure seemed like, for whatever reason, it was not blowing highlights like my 510 often would if I didn't change up the settings, metering or watch my exposure.

So I decided to do a little test and see if it was in my mind (that new camera smell effect) or if there was a difference. I think there is a difference.

I do not know whether it is more DR, a shift in DR, a different contrast curve or what but there is a difference. If I had to guess, I would say it is a difference in contrast (jpg processing) more than anything else but I am no expert.

I set both cameras up with the same lens (40-150mm), same focal length (150mm), same exposure (ISO200, F8, 1/400s) and all other settings at jpg defaults (contrast, saturation, Auto WB, etc). If there is any differences ion the settings it is an accident but I think I set them up the same. I set the exposure on the 620 to where it was just stating to blow highlights a bit and then set the 510 at that exposure.

I figure since I did it to satisfy my own curiosity, I might as well post the results.

Images in next post, FWIW.

-- hide signature --

Stu

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow