Started Apr 17, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chyuki
Regular MemberPosts: 161
Like?
Lumix GH1 = Powershot SX10 + lenses?
Apr 17, 2009

I was looking towards getting a GH1 for its cam/vid hybrid capabilities, but today I stumbled on the Powershot SX10 specs, and I've noticed how similar the Powershot SX10 is to the G1.

It seems like the Powershot can also do great videos with manual focus/zoom/exposure and stereo sound. The SX10 can't do HD videos though (well the SX1 can, but its CMOS sensor supposedly does jelly effects and not that great IQ). Sure, it can't do the nice bokeh effect, but that's probably just the small sensor's problem - with zoom it can actually achieve quite nice bokeh! The still picture quality is also pretty good, supposedly almost on par with G9/10. It seems like most features on the GH1 are also on the SX10.

So is the Lumix GH1 simply a Powershot SX10 with a slightly bigger sensor and the ability to change the lenses? After all this hype about the G1 being a "dSLR with the mirror stripped off", isn't it more accurate to say that it's a mere digital camera with an enlarged sensor and separate lenses? Putting it that way it seems like the "innovative" G1 system isn't THAT "innovative" after all... Or is there anything that makes the G1 especially different than BOTH dSLR and compact cameras, and puts it in a completely separate category?

Well with a price of 350$ for SX10 and 1500$+ for GH1, I'm not so sure whether I should get the GH1 after all... or keep my current dSLR and get a SX10 AND save some money... lol. What do you guys think?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow