Started Apr 17, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
schooleydoo
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Unbiased advice on D40 vs 400D please
Apr 17, 2009

This thread is not in either forum, as after extensive searching, there are some obvious bias in both camps. I have read all I can, but still need some advice that is specific to me if possible

18 months ago I bought my first DSLR - my D40. It does everything I need, but am frustrated by the lack of an internal focus motor, making any lens I want 20% more expensive, and massively narrowing my options. As well as the kit lens, I have a 55-200 Nikkor. I have now discovered HDR, and love the effect. After 6 months of trying this with the D40, I have found that even by just moving the dial to + - EV, its enough move the camera 1mm and ruin a shot. Something you wont know til you get home and try to merge the images. To cure this I bought a netbook and Nikon's camera control software, but its not practical in the field.

So I love the portability and intuitiveness and the battery is great (1000mah). But I dislike the AF-S/HSM requirement and the lack of auto bracketing. I have never had an issue with the kit lens or the 6MP sensor.

I now have the opportunity to trade my D40, 18-55 and 55-200 for a 400D with its kit lens and am torn. I will immediately need to buy a zoom lens, and after reading about the Canon's kit lens will probably go 18-200. Is this trade a good move for me to make?

The majority of my photography are cityscapes, animals and landscape.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow