Help! Cant decide! (primes)

Started Apr 15, 2009 | Discussions thread
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,983Gear list
Like?
Hey Forrest!
In reply to Forfie, Apr 16, 2009

Just called Boots... there selling those thing for about 300 more then B&H, need to call up ol' Tom Clark and see if he can give me my usual "you've spent tons of money here so i'll match B&H" discount.

Hi Neighbor!

You and I do the same thing. I usually try to buy from Boot's (Tom is "my guy" too!) and I don't mind paying a little extra to support the local store.
I've ended up buying about half of my lenses there.

When I bought the 85/1.4 3 years ago, they couldn't get close to the B&H price so I opted for B&H.

Also, with lenses that are known to have some individual variability, I particularly try to buy local (the 85/1.4 has few reported duds out there though)

I've bought most of my lenses from Boot's, except for the 10.5, 85 1.4, 200VR and 28 1.4. None of these were available in their store at the time.

One lens that I bought from Boot's that was significantly higher than B&H was the 17-55. I did so because of reported sample variability. Boot's had 6 of them on the self and I got a good one.

I also got the 200-400VR from Boot's, and was glad I did. There was a minor problem with it that involved sending it back to Nikon. Tom took care of the whole deal, saving me the hassle of sending it back myself. That alone, was worth the small amount extra that I paid by not buying it at B&H.

I think it's a good thing to support local camera stores as much as possible/resonable. As good as B&H is, I'd hate to think that the day will come when I have to buy everthing on line.

As good as the 24-70 and 70-200VR are, there's something special about the way the 85 1.4 can render an image. I just like the way it captures things without shouting "I've got great microcontrast" or "I must be good because I'm sharp". The lens seems to have more character than that..

Nikon D3 ,Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D IF AF
1/1600s f/2.5 at 85.0mm iso200

1/400s f/2.0 at 85.0mm iso1600

1/100s f/1.8 at 85.0mm iso800

Yet, if you want to pixel peep, the 85 1.4 doesn't disappoint:
Unprocessed RAW.
Saved as TIFF--> JPG
55/.6/3 Unsharp mask

Say "Hi" to Tom for me!

RB

http://www.pbase.com/rbfresno/profile

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow