Not happy with matrix meter on D80 (compared to D70), how does D90 meter compare?

Started Apr 16, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
flipcody
Regular MemberPosts: 178
Like?
Not happy with matrix meter on D80 (compared to D70), how does D90 meter compare?
Apr 16, 2009

I loved my D70. I took over 30,000 pictures with it before upgrading to the D80. There are many things I like about the D80 over my D70. I have had my D80 for about a year and there are times were I'm very frustrated with the matrix meter. I use mainly matrix metering. I have most my issues in sunny (or high contrast) conditions. I have tried working around these issues by using spot metering adjusting exposure in RAW, etc.. While I have had some success doing this it is a pain compared to my old D70. The matrix meter on the D70 worked very well.

When I compare pictures taken with my D70 to ones with my D80 it seems like the D70 did a better job of matrix metering. Following are 2 galleries of similar material. A vacation to Black Hills in 2006 with D70 and vacation to Hills is 2008 with D80:
D70 - http://www.pbase.com/flipcody/black_hills_2006&page=all
D80 - http://www.pbase.com/flipcody/black_hills_2008&page=all

I also find that less pictures taken with D80 end up being keepers. I find myself taking more pictures with D80. I also find myself having to review my shots while shooting on a much more intensive basis to be sure I get decent shots. I also bracket a lot more with the D80 (not totally a bad thing).

I have not been on these forums in a while. I have looked through some threads and I imagine that some people will give me a hard time. I know how to use the D80 with spot metering and in manual mode and I do so with creative shots that I have more time when taking shot. Unfortunately I do not have the luxury when shooting shots of family, sports, etc. It really is simple: I don't want to have to use spot metering, don't want to have to shoot in manual mode, and I do not want to have to correct exposure in RAW on lots of shots. I understand that no camera has perfect exposures every time...I just want the a camera that does it more frequently than my D80. I did not have these issues with my D70. Is there any way to get the matrix meter to perform better with the D80?

From the threads I have read here it sounds like the D90 matrix meter is similar to D80. Is that correct? I'm not interested in cameras like the D5000 with less features. I like the feature set of the D80 (and D90). I could always go out and pick up a used D70s but there are some features that I have grown to love on my D80.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Nikon D80
Carry around lens: Nikon 18-200 VR
http://www.pbase.com/flipcody

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow