Canon 500D vs Nikon D90 - Fair comparison?

Started Apr 9, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rwkai
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Canon 500D vs Nikon D90 - Fair comparison?
Apr 9, 2009

I’m an “entry-level” photographer looking for a good entry level DSLR. I'm interested in the Canon 500D and I have been comparing it to the Canon 50D and Nikon D90, but wonder if I'm comparing apples and oranges.

I’m little confused after reading the recent comparison of the Canon 500D and the Nikon D90 on digitalreview.ca.

The review was very thorough, and throughout the review the author stated why the Nikon was the better camera. The D90 has a better sensor, is quieter and faster, has enhanced ergonomics, better prism, superior focusing, more sophisticated flash, better battery, geotagging, and greater customization.

The author actually says “If being able to shoot digital SLR type HD movies is an important requirement, the Canon Rebel T1i will offer a reasonably priced entry level Canon solution, although the higher end Canon EOS 5D Mark II would be much more appropriate for this type of application.” Last time I looked the 5D was $1,800 more expensive than the 500D. I hope it would perform better.

My question is this. Is the Canon 500D a good entry level camera? The local camera store where I live doesn’t even list these two cameras in the same categories: Canon 500D as entry level, and Nikon D90 as advanced. With kit lens, the Nikon $280 more than the Canon, and with 18-200mm lenses on both cameras the difference is even greater.

Probably a bad analogy, but if I’m looking for a Honda Accord, I’m not impressed when I compared it to a BMW 3281. The Accord may be a good car when compared to like cars.

Is it fair to compare the 500D to D50?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow