Started Apr 5, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jdjdjd
Regular MemberPosts: 457
Like?
Out of focus and halo with Canon 50mm nifty fifty
Apr 5, 2009

I decided to change my usual routine for the high school baseball game. Instead of using a long zoom, I put a Canon 50mm 1.8 on my 450D. My plan was to shoot the batter (and home plate) and I was going to use mostly larger apertures to blur the background.

The results were poor. I have 15 photos taken of batters at f/2.8 and all of them were out of focus, and the players in the dugout have a halo around them. At larger apertures, the halo is less noticeable or non-existent, and a larger portion of the pictures are in focus.

Regarding the focus problems, is it possible that white uniforms might have thrown off the auto-focus (the uniforms were white with pinstrips, hats were white, and it was a sunny afternoon)? Or perhaps the focusing spot was larger than the player?

And what could have caused the halos?

Shooting details: AI Servo mode, focus point set manually to use just the center point, focus triggered manually (C.FnIV = 3), and I refocused on each pitch. I used manually triggered focus so that the camera wouldn't automatically refocus on the wrong point (in theory this is a good setting where you can prefocus on a particular spot). The camera is not new and I haven't had any problems with it; however this is the first time I've used the 50mm lens in many years (the lens came off my first Canon camera circa 1992 and it's a version "II").

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow