Started Apr 3, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phil Rose
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,379Gear list
Like?
Concern about my "new" E-3 (refurb)
Apr 3, 2009

I purchased a "demo" E-3 body this week on eBay from Cameta Camera. The specimen I received was–as expected–very, very nice cosmetically (really quite close to perfect). But the camera was somewhat disappointing (based on my hope/expectation) in regard to amount of previous use (i.e., shutter clicks). Based on "secret menu" data, it's from October 2007 production and it had 2806 shutter clicks when received. Cameta states that these cameras have: "never been owned by a consumer and have minimal to no use".

I realize 2806 clicks is not a very large number–considering the E-3 shutter is rated for 150,000 actuations. I know that many of you would put 2800 clicks on a camera in just a month or two, but for me... it represents about 2 year's worth of use (I know, I should get out more).

I have plenty of time to return this body for another, but of course there's no guarantee the next one won't be worse in some respect (e.g., the viewfinder tilt could be worse–this one has "only" about 0.3 degree). If I knew that this particular E-3 is an "outlier" in respect to previous use (for a refurb), I'd be more inclined to chance having it replaced. I spoke briefly with Cameta about this, and their reaction was that 2800 clicks was "very low" but that I was entitled to return or exchange it; but no assurance that a replacement would be more satisfactory.

I guess I hoped for under 1000 shutter actuations. Unreasonable? Are my expectations too high about the meaning of "minimal to no use"?

Phil

-- hide signature --
 Phil Rose's gear list:Phil Rose's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow