Started Apr 3, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PhotoChic
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Next 1D might not be a MKIV
Apr 3, 2009

I know most in this forum take conversations with Canon reps with a grain of salt, but I thought I'd pass on some interesting comments that may or may not mean anything....

I called yesterday to get information on the 5DMKII and I once again like in this forum, I asked him to sway me towards either the MKII or the 1DMKIII for the work that I do (mostly weddings/portrait and some sports). It was a toss up until I said "the last thing I want to do is get the MKIII and Canon announce the replacement in the fall". That's when he said “all I can say is,,, you just made up your mind, GET THE 5DMKII"....

I kind of laughed and said "so they are going to announce the MKIV in the fall"... He then got off the announcement subject and said (and this is really what I wanted to pass on to the forum) it won't be called a MKIV. He said the numbers 4 and 8 have bad connotations in Japanese. He pointed out how they skipped over the number 4 for the powershot and went right to 5. He ended with "this is all just my opinion" but I have to think he's privy to at least some pulse for where the company is going...

Anyway,, not to past on a rumor but just some interesting conversation with someone at Canon. In all he gave me just enough to really gets my imagination going..... I told him that after this conversation I would plan on getting a 5DMKII and when the next 1D comes out I'll get that around the first part of 2010. He said that sounded like a very good plan...

I hope it's an MKIIIn with all the current upgrades, but whatever it is I know it will be worth the wait. I know the Canon rep wasn't letting anything out of the bag but just sharing his own gut feeling with me although he did have a good point about the name not being a "MKIV"....

Just thought I'd pass it on...

Julie J.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow