Can you talk me out of a mirror lens?

Started Mar 30, 2009 | Discussions thread
Rod Herdman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,570Gear list
Like?
Re: An hour and a half with the Sigma 600/8...
In reply to Marc Sabatella, Apr 3, 2009

I like the squirrel shot, it shows what can be done and the bokeh isn't too distracting. BIFs are a pain, as you have so rightly said. Actually getting the bird in the VF and focussing in time means a low success rate - although I guess many people in this forum are better at it than I am!

I normally go for ISO400 on a bright day - if you are heading past 800 it's time to put the lens away IMHO.

I had for many years a cheapo "Centon" 500mm mirror lens and it rarely saw use with film. The ability to raise the ISO on dSLR's meant that I used it a lot more and that's why I recently upgraded it to the Tamron. I decided to put the Centon on the bay and in order to help sell it, I decided to put a photo taken with the lens in the listing. I took a photo of a dove through double-glazed windows and it was as sharp as a tack - I couldn't believe it, it was the best shot ever taken with that lens! I haven't yet matched it with the Tamron and everything tells me the Tamron is the better lens to keep . . but on a good day even a cheap lens can give a cracking shot.
Enjoy!

Rod

-- hide signature --

All I want is a digital back for my trusty K1000 . . .

Rod Herdman's gear list:Rod Herdman's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow