Started Apr 3, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John_Reed
Forum ProPosts: 17,140
Like?
G1: Moving targets in burst mode - AKA BIF photos
Apr 3, 2009

Took these at the Palo Alto Baylands this afternoon, some of my best BIF shots ever? See for yourself. All images taken with 45-200 lens at full zoom. Here's a rising Mallard Drake:

And a Mallard Hen in flight:

How about this Ring-Billed Gull?

All shots taken with my Daisy RDS rig, taken in RAW and developed with RAW Developer, cropped somewhat to improve composition. Here's the Mallard Drake EXIF data, representative of all of them:

http://john-reed.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=504344263&ImageKey=9vuof

So you might ask "why use an RDS rig? Doesn't that defeat the supposed advantages of the G1 as a birding camera?" I'll just say that my "hit rate" with the G1 is WAY higher than it ever was with ANY of my RDS/FZ rigs of the past. I believe the G1's AF system is earning its keep here. I shot these images with AF Tracking turned on. Without even looking through the viewfinder, just pointing the red dot at the bird and tracking it, I got decent results on almost every series. So I'm thinking that maybe the G1's EVF is indeed lagging too much to allow direct tracking like some DSLRs can, nonetheless its AF system is quick enough for the job.
Thanks for looking & commenting, whether or not.
--
Just cruisin' ...

GeeOne, EffZeeEighteen, TeeZeeThree

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow