ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ZZFILM
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
An opinion against larger sensors
Apr 3, 2009

Hello -

I am getting really worried about all the fuss I read around compact digicam forums. If there is one thing I would NOT like to see in the new models of Ricoh's GRD and GX series of cameras, it would be a large sensor. A 2/3 chip would be an alright limit. But full frame, m4/3 or APS size... no way.

My number one reason, everything is sharp with the small sensor. I really love the fact that with such a small sensor, and with such wide lenses, it becomes that much easier to get a sharp image. Even if your camera is set wide open or a middle ground stop. Put the camera at a deeper stop and shoot in snap mode, and your sure to get the picture. For me, wide angle photography has always been about sharpness. Being able to see the world and the subject, and how it all works and fits within the frame to tell the story.

I do understand that many people feel that Ricoh's images are too noisy, and that having a much larger chip will allow the photographer to shoot at a higher ISO without the compromise of a "grainy" image. But it seems very apparent to me that these camera manufacturers are really pulling more and more clean performance out of these small chips, and having the larger sensor AND a fast lens would really make the camera quite large. You may as well buy an SLR or EVIL etc. If Ricoh can at least equal what Fuji has done with their f200 in the high ISO noise department, with a sensor in the 1.6 to 2/3" range, I would be more then happy.

If they can do that, get the lenses to an f2, and merge the look and control of the cameras with the build of the Olympus c5050 (along with a built in OVF or EVF), I think they would turn more then a few heads, and empty a few wallets.

Here is a link to a write up of a few other things I would love to see in the new cameras.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1013&thread=31095299

Thanks for reading. I would love to hear others opinions.
Jozo

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow