How much better is a full frame sensor for landscape images?

Started Apr 3, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sparky52t
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
How much better is a full frame sensor for landscape images?
Apr 3, 2009

What next for a photo hobbyist? I’ve been an amateur photographer for many years and have gained most of my experience on the 35 mm side, first with a Canon FT and later with a Nikon FE2. Then came digital and I purchased a 3 mp Kodak point-and-shoot in 2001. I saved for years and finally rejoined the digital single lens reflex team, purchasing a Canon 40d in 2007. After a year and a half of trying to love that camera, I sold it.

I’m still not sure why I so abruptly jumped out of the hobby that I’d loved for decades.

I can’t blame it on the camera entirely but I never could seem to get it to focus with the razor sharp accuracy that I remember with my old film cameras. While it was under warranty I sent all lenses and the body off to Canon for calibration to insure that everything was in spec but sharpness was still an issue for me. (I should add, it’s not as if I don’t know how to use Photoshop and RAW processing to bring out the best in a photo. I’m a graphic designer and spend hours each day preparing photos for print production.)

I’ve read in several forums that landscape photography stands to benefit the most from a full frame sensor and I’m wondering if I would have seen better results if I’d bought a full frame sensor camera like the 5d? Has anyone been down a similar path and have some advice they could offer?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow