ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MrJez
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Printing to R1900 from Linux
Mar 30, 2009

Hi,

I'm currently 95% of the way to moving over to using completely GNU software for my PP (I'm not here to debate the relative merits of closed/open source!), the only issue I have left to solve is getting printing up and running.

I have an Epson R1900, so I downloaded and installed Gutenprint for the drivers and PhotoPrint so that I can print in a colour managed environment.

Unfortunately, when I try to print using the standard epson icc profiles (i'm using epson ink and paper) I get some very poor results in terms of colour. When I do a soft proof in PhotoPrint, the image looks very strange, and it seems to correspond with what comes out of the printer (I can post a screen shot if needs be). It seems that the profile gives an incorrect representation of the paper colour (I have some knowledge of colour management, but not the technical workings). After some more research i've read that apparently the standard epson profiles are only suitable for use with the epson driver - I find this strange as I thought that icc profiles were platform and software independant.
So, my question is...

Has anybody successfully got their R1900 working in Linux for photo printing (with or without proper colour mangagement!)

Does anybody know of where I can get hold of the standard Epson profiles but suitable for use with Gutenprint/Photoprint (I know i could get custom profiles but i want to avoid that if at all possible).

I have contacted PermaJet (I'm thinking of moving to their papers), they tell me that their icc profiles are platform independant so i'll try downloading one and see what the soft proof looks like.

Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow