Started Mar 29, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
acfpt
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
Perfect "Dad" kit
Mar 29, 2009

I'm looking to round out my lens kit with 1 to 2 more lenses in addition to my 17-55 2.8 IS and 28-105 3.5-4.5 with my 30D. I have no intention/need to go to full frame any time in the next decade, so I'm not worrying about EF vs EF-S.

Here's my background- I'm the family photographer. My pictures get printed at 4x6 -> 8x10 in photo books, mostly. My subjects are mostly under 4 feet tall, but move surprisingly fast! My environments range from indoor birthday parties to school concerts, as well as indoor and outdoor sports.

Can anyone offer a 1-2 lens suggestion for rounding things out? I've already tried the 55-250 and found the AF lacking. My preference definitely goes towards ring USM. I've never tried any 3rd party lenses, but if they are consistent, I"m not averse to trying them. I've tried the 70-200 2.8 IS and think that it would be overkill for most of my weekend outings to the zoo or aquarium (although I could be tempted).

Here are my thoughts- all guidance and input is appreciated.

A) 35 or 50 mm prime in the 1.4 to 1.8 aperture range. This would be my dedicated indoor lens, allowing me more speed than the 17-55, and hopefully giving me fast enough shutter speeds to negate the loss of the IS

B) 70-200 f4. This would be my weekend outing lens for the zoo or aquarium. We live in Florida, so days are pretty bright.

C) Get rid of the 28-105 and replace with a 28-135 as a walkaround lens for family vacations. This adds IS and some reach, but I don't know if the IQ is comparable. A friend just got the 28-135 with her new 50D, so I'm hoping to borrow it and try it out.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Adam

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
35LNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow