Started Mar 28, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
psychoegg
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
Updating XSI Lenses - Please Help
Mar 28, 2009

Sorry for the double post, but I'm wasn't sure what forum to post this in.

As you can see by the subject, I'm looking to update the lenses that I currently have with my XSI. Right now I have the 18-55 IS, the 55-250 IS, and the 50 1.8. (Pretty standard setup from what I've seen on here).

I'm looking at a couple different options at the moment. As background for what I like to shoot and what lenses I currently use the most, I'm really all over the place. I'd say that it's a 50/50 split between the kit 18-55 IS and the 50 1.8 over a year of shooting. I like to shoot candid shots of friends and family when hanging out, I enjoy nature photography and close-ups of flowers, etc., we also go on trips once a year and I like to take landscapes, so really... it's a pretty wide range of shots.

Say that though... I like the versatility of the 18-55 but enjoy the look and image quality of the 1.8.

These are the lenses that I'm thinking about...

1) Canon 17-55 2.8 IS

(it seems like a good replacement for the two lenses I use most, other than extreme low light situations)

2) Canon 70-200 F4 IS

(although I don't use my 50-250 IS all that much, I like wildlife photos, but haven't been happy with the results to date)

3) Canon 24-105 F4 IS

(It's not that wide on a crop sensor but gives me more versatility than my current setup. I think my next jump will be a 'prosumer' crop sensor camera like the future 60D, 70D, etc. so i'd still miss the wide angle)

4) Canon 10-22 (or something similar)

(I really enjoy wide angle photos and the look that you can achieve with a lens of this type but am unsure when comparing it to the other choices)

Ok... I know that it is a crazy range of lenses, but based on what I currently have and based on wanting to upgrade my existing kit, what would you suggest? Thanks.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow