ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dan
Dan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,371Gear list
Like?
D90 vs. Canon 500D Which one?
Mar 27, 2009

I'm trying to recommend a camera to a friend and I'm curious what you all think of the D90 vs. the 500D.

The thing that hits me first is that the 500D can do 30fps VGA and 720P video with auto focus.

The 500D has a slightly slower frame rate of 3.4 vs the D90's 4.5. I wonder if this translates to a quicker camera. Higher fps means it's ready for the next shot in less time right?

If you're not tied to a certain brand (don't have a collection of lenses/flashes), which body would you buy and why?

My friend will be using his camera for typical family stuff (dance recitals, kids sports, family outings, etc.).

I'm recommending an 18-200mm lens (Canon or Nikon) though I wonder if the Nikon would be faster in focusing.

Any opinions on color rendition or other image characteristics between Nikon and Canon? The last time I tried a Canon was back in the days of the 20D. If things are still the same, I'd probably prefer Nikon's "color."

I wonder if the AF performance would be comparable. I haven't tried the Rebel line.

And does the 500D have built-in JPG chromatic aberration correction? I wonder how important this feature would be.

Dan's gear list:Dan's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow