First shoot with Elinchrom deep octa (possibly nsfw)

Started Mar 25, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Greg Reinacker
Contributing MemberPosts: 627
Like?
First shoot with Elinchrom deep octa (possibly nsfw)
Mar 25, 2009

I picked up an Elinchrom deep octa, and finally had a chance to shoot with it a couple of weeks ago. I like the light I'm getting from this a lot...you can see one shot in the picture below.

Two things I noticed about it...first, it's a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Compared to a 3' octa, it's positively huge (I think it's mostly the depth that makes it feel big). And second, it's much more directional than I expected, when the outside diffuser is removed. In the shot below, I think it's actually pointed a little too far down, which I didn't notice until later. I did some full-length shots with it too (not shown here), also without the outer diffuser - that's when I really noticed how directional the light was.

With the outer diffuser in place, it seems to behave more or less like a regular octa box.

Setting it up takes a little getting used to (when speedring is already attached), but now that I've done it a few times it's pretty comfortable. And I like the setup process much better than the photoflex octas I've been using up to now...I'm thinking about swapping out some of my older boxes for the elinchrom ones, just based on this.

Can't wait to shoot again with this deep octa, now that I know a little more about it!

This shot done with inner diffuser in place, but no outer diffuser. For those who are curious about such things, this was taken with D3x, 24-70mm at 66mm, ISO 100, f/10, 1/200 sec.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow