ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rdardas
Regular MemberPosts: 122Gear list
Like?
DoubleSight DS-265W/Canon i9900/Epson 3800 and Color Munki
Mar 22, 2009

Hello All,

I promised to report on using the Color Munki to calibrate a new DS-265W and profile along with two printers - Canon i9900 and Epson 3800. Here goes.

Installing the CM on a PC with Windows XP Pro OS was a snap. The installation disk immediately called up the latest version of CM software from the internet. I disabled the Windows firewall and my virus checker as a precaution. The machine recognizede the CM after software installation immediately, went out to the internet for something else and I was able to activate the system without trouble.

Calibration according the the basic routine was performed according to very, very simple on screen directions in a matter of minutes and the screen looked different than it did before calibration. I had previously set brightness down to 45% several days before calibration when I didn't have the Color Munki.

I use ink in the Canon from Atlanticinkjet.com, that is to say I refill my cartridges for .26 a cart instead of $11.00/cart from retail stores, so I was particularly interested in how the Canon printer profiling would turn out. I also use a very good glossy 8.5x11" paper from Costco which costs about $!6 for 150 sheets for proofing before printing larger sheets on the Canon or moving up to anything over 13" on the Epson. I prefer the rich colors of dye-based inks over the duller pigment based for color prints.

I profiled the Kirkland paper(Costco) on both printers and Epson Premium Lustre on both printers. In both cases I used two additional images (one very muted tone and one very bright toned) to improve the profile. The device moved across the color bars with ease. No difficulty with speed of scan or any other operation. Instructions were on the screen with an additional video clip assist if needed. The profiles were generated and named and appeared on the Print Panel of Photoshop CS3.

Prints were made or the two images used to improve the profiles, on both papers, according to Color Munki directions and examined under an Ott Light after they had dried for two hours. I could see no substantial difference between the screen and printed images other than that the prints appeared slightly darker than the screen. That was corrected on the Canon by printing "Light" and on the Epson by printing at around 35% brighter.

I am extremely pleased with the new monitor and the profiles done with Color Munki.

Dick

rdardas's gear list:rdardas's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow