Images not as sharp as live view

Started Mar 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
Decoboy
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
Re: yes viewfinder not the place to view ;)
In reply to schatz, Mar 22, 2009

Cephus, Bob et al,

I thought the same thing for a while when I first had the 40D (Remote live view is brilliant for macro work!!) , but as others have said :

1- until the 50D and 5DII the viewfinders only showed a crappy little lo res jpg, (effectively a thumbnail!) very poor for checking focus, this was one of the main reasons I got the 50D - for in field focus checking on macro shots, it is now very useful (bigger screen helps too) for this purpose - can't imagine why they didn't do it earlier - even the 1Ds III used the little jpg.

2 - You really must process the Raw's first, whilst Canon doesn't tell us what they do to the Live View image, I would guarantee they throw some (lots?) sharpening in there, and some contrast etc . it is after all not the raw data being screened.

plus

3 - Live view is really a bit like a movie, think it's about 30fps (sensor on/off) and although not 1/250th as per your image, I suspect we perceive the 'movie' more kindly than a still.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Decoboy's gear list:Decoboy's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D X Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow