Is there a reason other than lower f-stop to get 50mm lenses if you have 24-105 L?

Started Mar 20, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sethmarshall
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
Is there a reason other than lower f-stop to get 50mm lenses if you have 24-105 L?
Mar 20, 2009

I was thinking about purchasing the 50mm f1.8. The f1.4 is better build and offers more light but I don't need it enough to justify the higher cost. In fact, after reading the lens review on here and researching either (f1.8 or 1.4) MTF charts I'm wondering if it's worth even the > $100 cost of the cheap f1.8.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the lens appears to only perform great stopped down to f5.6 or even more so f8. Since I have a 24-105 L, it seems there is nothing this lens offers me at this stopped down f-stop, correct?

Especially with use on the 5D mark ii. Wouldn't I want to stop down to this aperture achievable by the kit lens?

So it looks all this lens will give me is the shallow depth of field achieved by opening the aperture BUT at the cost of sharpness and contrast.

The shallow depth of field seems to have a heavy cost. Anyone have an opinion?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow