Started Mar 19, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dwalton
Contributing MemberPosts: 588
Like?
Help with Decision - Olympus and Nikon
Mar 19, 2009

Hi everyone - first, I want to preface my question by saying that this Oly forum has been very useful to me, and the folks here seem really nice as well.

I'm agonizing a bit over a DSLR decision. I've seen this discussed here in a few threads, but I thought I'd post it anyway. This would be for landscapes, no sports, no real need for fast FPS, nearly always RAW mode, no big need for pro-level weather sealing (but I'd take it if it's there), some lower-light use but generally nothing past ISO 800, and usually more like 100-400. Image quality is #1 for me.

I'd either going to purchase an Olympus E30 w/ 12-60 Zuiko, or a Nikon D90/D300 with the 16-85 zoom. I'm swooning over the 12-60 Zuiko - the Oly glass in general seems like a good base to build around for a while. And I love the idea of IS in the body. But the E30 body seems to come in at around + - $1200. This puts the Oly setup at around $2000.

I've read excellent reviews of the Nikon 16-85 VR. I've also gained the impression that the Nikon D90 and D300 offer slightly better IQ over the Oly E30 (and the E3). A D90 with the 16-85 would run me around $1500, and a D300 with the same lens comes in at around $2100. Clearly both Nikon bodies are excellent - especially the D300.

Normally I'd just get one of the Nikon setups. But the Oly kit described above keeps talking to me. IS in the body, fine Zuiko lenses, the 4/3 format seems thoughtful.

Any suggestions or insights you might want to offer would be appreciated. ANd please go easy on me.

Thanks!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow