ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
winchester
Regular MemberPosts: 364
Like?
Shooting fur on Ice
Mar 18, 2009

Screwed up another photo op.

I went for another walk last weeken in search of wildlife to shoot, and came across a once in a lifetime opportunity. There was this Fisher of beaver pond having the most fantastic time in the warm spring sun. He was running around sliding on the stomach ,jumping in the air, just playing!

Took the advice of my camera salesman and set the camera to auto. In the past I a shot manual away from and then into the sun .... and lost half my shots went to the difference. (Inexperience showing itself)

This time, the snow and ice blow out took 95%, shots. This is the first time I saw Fisher in five years. It was like a black tube object on white snow. (Inexperience showing itself again).

When shooting wildlife because of the situation where the animal presents itself how do most of you shoot in these circumstances? Like you only have a few seconds sometimes to get that wildlife shot!. I had a polarize filter on the 70- 300 vr lens, any tips?(I almost never shoot in auto.)

Here's example of one of my better shots,( he was waking) but it seems very soft, on the fur.

http://www.pbase.com/nik8800/image/110344211

shutter speed 1/500
f-stop 5.6
ISO 200 (set and locked at 200, not totaly auto mode)

Jamie
--
Nikon D90 ,AF-S VR 70-300 G IF-ED,
AF-S DX 18-105 G ED VR,
SB 800
Scansoft Dragon Naturally Speaking.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow