Started Mar 5, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeZ
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?
Colormunki Needed?
Mar 5, 2009

I'm new to color management and do not currently have any calibration hardware, so need some advice.

I'm buying an Eizo CE240W and need to get something to calibrate it. I've heard the i1 display 2 works excellent on this monitor so am leaning toward that solution. I don't currently have a photo printer, but plan to acquire one in the not too distant future. I haven' really researched them in depth yet, but as a frame of reference something in the ballpark of an Epson 4880 is what I'd likely get.

So, my question is should I get a colormunki ($400) now instead of the i1 display 2 ($200) to avoid having wasted money on the display 2 down the road? Eizo's website says both are compatible for the monitor. With a printer in that price/quality range, using OEM inks and papers, do you need something like a colormunki to get a decent match to the monitor? Or do stock profiles get you 98% of the way there? Does the colormunki do as good or better job of monitor calibration as the dispaly 2? I've seen mostly good reviews for the display2, but quite mixed and some quite bad on the colormunki.

This is purely a hobby and do very low volume of printing, so spending $1,000 or more on a calibrator doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Having a printer will greatly increase the things I print which is my goal, but at that cost point plus the price of the printer I'd likely skip getting a printer and just continue to take things to the lab when I get around to it.

Any suggestions or thought are appreciated.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow