ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tvtilburg
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
17-85 or 28-135 as starter lens?
Mar 5, 2009

Hey guys,

I'm almost getting my first slr, decided on a 40D since the prices are dropping. Since i have no lenses at all, i need some advice for my first (kit?) lens.

I've been digging around, and it seems like the 17-85is (kitlens) and the 28-135 are good choices. I want my first lens to be an allrounder, so i suppose both fit very nicely in my budget of approx 300eu.

My dilemma is the following, the 17-85 has max aperture of 4 but is a little wider, then again, the 28-135 has slightly an advantage with max aperture and more zoom. What do u guys think? I compared the lenses on the-digital-picture, and it looks like the 28-135 performs (a little) better at 28mm.. In the future (if/when my budget allows it) i can buy the 17-55 f2.8 is with the 28-135, or replace the 17-85. So, that shouldnt influence my decision right now..

Both options seem reasonable to start with, so perhaps if you guys have some practical experience/advice, i'd be happy to hear them!

Tom

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow