ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
monographix
Regular MemberPosts: 312Gear list
Like?
VR not suitable for moving subjects?
Mar 3, 2009

Hello

i have become lately interested in shooting aviation subjects. I own (all used) A D70 and a VR 18-200 (plus an F(N)70, the famous 70-210/4-5.6, the kit af-s 18-70, and a sigma 28-105/2.8-4, all for sale) . Not shooting often though (have some limited access to local civilian airport only anyways, no airshows happening nor shooting near bases allowed where i live, Greece) therefore lacking experience i ran into some issues with the majority of my aviation subjects shooting. (bad focus, motion blur, noise, softness, etc)

Other photographers in this site, fencecheck.com ( http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=232249d337fee701ed176620865bf80f&topic=18416.0 ) claim that VR works against image quality (soften?) when shooting moving subjects ... especially when panning. Is that possible? i cant think of a reason why would that be happening? (having to do maybe with the AF-ON button issue?) I'd expect VR would be helpful and beneficial (especially with slower shutter speeds) to panning

Many also claim that i need a longer tele than 200mm since i can't get close to my subjects and they claim also that any tele-zoom is sharper than the 18-200 at the long end, eg even the consumer and on a budget 70-300.

What would be possibly your input on that?

Nick D.

monographix's gear list:monographix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow