Ektar 100 now in 120 format

Started Feb 17, 2009 | Discussions thread
Zoltan2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,991
Like?
100% crops from a 4000ppi scan [35mm]
In reply to Dave Luttmann, Feb 24, 2009

While I am having trouble finding the right NegaFix profile for my own Ektar scans (see post above), I had a professional person scan one 35mm frame with a Nikon Coolscan 8000 ED at 4000ppi. Below you can find several 100% crops from this 20+ megapixel scan, but first let me show you the full frame at reduced resolution, so you can see which parts of the photograph the crops come from.

The subject is the Parliament building in Budapest, Hungary, which is a good test target because it is both massive and delicate, with lots of very fine detail. The lens was an old Auto Chinon MC 50mm f/1.7 prime stopped down to f/8. The camera was mounted on a tripod and a cable release was used.
And now for the crops:

1. 1 From the very top of the building, high above the dome.

1. 2 From the tower left of the centre of the image (the Northern Tower).

1. 3 From further to the left.

1. 4 From the quay.

I also shot the same subject from the same location with a Sony Alpha A900 - but at a different time and a completely different lens (a zoom, but a very high grade one, the Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8 SSM), so I am not posting crops from that photo here. What I can tell you is that the Sony produces a much cleaner output, and resolves some very fine detail that is not present in this scan - but the level of detail is awfully close, so it is entirely possible that a higher resolution scanner would have extracted as much - or perhaps more - detail from the film as present in the digital photograph. This bodes very well for the upcoming 120 format version.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow