Started Feb 22, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LKeithR
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,090
Like?
Another Failing 50-135
Feb 22, 2009

Went to an agricultural trade show yesterday to look around and get a few pictures. My DA 35 and DA 70 performed flawlessly (on my K20D) but for some people shots I used the 50-135. I find I can get better candids if I'm out of the field of view of my subjects. Anyway, I missed a LOT of shots because the lens simply would not focus when I needed it to. Very frustrating because once in a while it would snap into focus the way it is meant to but most of the time it either would not focus at all or would do so very slowly. It often took 5-6 half presses of the shutter to get it to come to life and, of course, by then the subject had moved and it was too late.

I used spot focus, had fresh batteries and hunted around the scene to find areas of high contrast but it didn't seem to make any difference. All I know is that as it is the lens is useless and completely unreliable.

Has anyone identified the actual cause of the problem? Is it all in the lens? Or is it a camera/lens interface issue? Are lenses that have been sent away for repair working flawlessly? In other words, is Pentax actually able to fix the problem once and for all?

For the heck of it I just grabbed the camera, threw the 50-135 on it and went outside to take a few shots. Worked fine this time. Seemed to focus every time I half-pressed the shutter. Now what?
--
Look at the picture, not the pixels...
http://www.lkeithr.zenfolio.com

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow