Started Feb 22, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richiedodson
Regular MemberPosts: 291
Like?
EF 35mm f2 as first lens?
Feb 22, 2009

I'm buying a camera/lens combo for my brother in law which of course is a sensitive issue due to being family and making good decisions without causing any kind of conflict - he has never had an SLR before but is incredibly tech minded and very computer capable.

I am thinking a 40D with a EF 35mm f2. Does anyone have this combo or just the lens? would it be a good starter lens? My reasoning is that it is fairly cheap (as is the 40D compared to 50D) but has f2! it will be his only lens to start with. The 35mm on a 40D is similar to a 50mm standard length on FF.

Personally I have a 1DII, 5DII, 5D and a bunch of top L lenses but I have never used a 35mm prime at all let alone the f2 version. I personally hate the aperture changing on cheaper zooms as they are extended (that are in similar price range to EF 35mm f2) and I think max f2 is a much better alternative anyway to a 4-5.6 and will really allow him to experiment best.

As for 40D - 10MP and 6.5fps is plenty for most applications especially for a beginner - cheaper than 50D too and still includes live view etc..

He is not short of money and could afford a 24-105 F4 L USM with the 40D but I think maybe he could aspire to that later and learn more about apertures and DOF first... and if he eventually got a 24-105 I would probably encourage him to also get a 70-200 f4 IS and 1.4X...

Opinions? Alternatives?

-- hide signature --

'high IQ'

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow