Started Feb 20, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jforkner
Contributing MemberPosts: 518Gear list
Like?
Horsetail Falls - Yosemite
Feb 20, 2009

Last night Horsetail Falls in Yosemite lit up. I'd been dreaming of this opportunity for 2 years, and last night it came to fruition. The conditions were perfect---just ask the 18 photographers that were in a 10-foot radius.

As you may know what makes it so unique is the setting sun can light up the falls and make it appear as though it’s on fire. The operative word here is “can.” Unless a number of events coincide, it doesn’t happen. To create the “firefall,” there must be enough snow pack on top of El Cap to feed the falls, the temperature must be warm enough to melt the snow and create the flow, the sun must be in the correct position (generally the last 2 weeks in February), and the sky must be clear enough to allow the sun to shine through to the falls. In addition, you have to be in the right spot within the park (there’s a couple of desired locations), and avoid the herd of photographers all clamoring for the same shot.

I know it's been done before, but capturing the falls the first time I tried was a special treat for me. Hope you enjoy.

E-500
Zuiko 40-150mm

Jack

jforkner's gear list:jforkner's gear list
Olympus E-620 Canon EOS 6D Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow