How do you protect your Metz from freezing over? (a little story)

Started Feb 20, 2009 | Discussions thread
henryp
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,826Gear list
Like?
Re: How do you protect your Metz from freezing over? (a little story)
In reply to thanos, Feb 20, 2009

thanos wrote:

Do you have any stories shooting with flash in very low temps?

Batteries temporarily die when they get cold. Keeping your batteries warm could help considerably. A Quantum battery in your pocket might be a useful option.

When the hostages were released from Iran I was assigned to shoot the NYC ticker-tape parade. One of the coldest January days I can recall and I was using another photog's equip because I was originally not the assigned photog. This was when cameras were 100% manual and we were shooting film.

Batteries died mid-roll, cold film gets brittle, rewinding cold film at the end of the roll can cause static electric sparks which look like little lightening bolts and hands were of course painfully stiff and numb.

Every time a motorcycle cop rolled by we all made him stop so we could use the heat from his engine to warm our hands, change film, and swap cold batteries for the warm ones in our pockets. Thank goodness the group I was with included a very attractive local TV newswoman. The cops stopped for her, not us mugs, and we were glad to have her there.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow