Started Feb 20, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AnthonyL
Senior MemberPosts: 1,647Gear list
Like?
450D? - I miss my P&S
Feb 20, 2009

Seduced by the hype that goes with DSLRs I replaced my ailing Dimage 5 with a 450D and 18-55IS plus 55-250IS kit lenses a couple of months ago.

Here's what I find:

Half the time I've got the wrong lens on.

The D5 came with a lens hood.

The end of the lens turning is a pain, and compacting it all when it is extended is a pain. And manual focus is awkward too and far too coarse.

I miss the swivel viewfinder.

I miss toggling the AE lock on/off when I press a 2nd time.

The D5 had a P button which quickly reset any custom settings without having to go into menus.

I could take video, ok cheap and cheerful but I could take it.

It is too hard to get any DOF even with ISO 1600 and trying to stop down (it's UK winter time).

Of course the 450D should win on IQ but sometimes I look at a photo that someone has posted in this forum and say "Ah that's nice!" then a whole load of people come and say "It's soft", "It's out of focus", "You must have a filter on", "The colours are wrong" and I look again and think again "Ah that's nice!" so it all must be wasted on me.

I've been a casual enthusiast for 40yrs. I've used fully manual cameras, semi-automatic, SLR and the D5. I used to be able to look at a subject and get a pretty reasonable picture by working out suitable exposure, time, dof expectations, movement, backlight etc. There have been times I've pushed the ASA (as it was then called) on slides because I've got 100 (or was it 80?) whilst abroad (nice and sunny) and needed 400 because it was dark and cloudy in the UK winter. Now my brain has slowed down and I invariably find I've forgotten to set back a setting.

Anyone want to trade for a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28?

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
BAITNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow