How do you protect your Metz from freezing over? (a little story)

Started Feb 20, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thanos
Regular MemberPosts: 300
Like?
How do you protect your Metz from freezing over? (a little story)
Feb 20, 2009

For over two years now I use a couple Metz 54i flash guns fitted with the Canon SCA 3102 shoe and I'm very happy with the light they produce and their reliability.

Last night I was shooting a local event under very cold weather (-5 C). After about half an hour the back screen of the flash blanked and the gun stopped responding. I turned it off then on and the screen came back but it refused to have any communication with the camera (Canon 1D MarkII) although it displayed the menus and numbers. I could navigate with the Mode button but no communication with the camera happened in any mode. It didn't even fire with the test button! Needless to say I shot the rest of the event in ISO 1600.

Anyways back at home I switched the SCA adapter with a 301 shoe and the flash triggered ok. I put the SCA shoe on a second 54i I have and it couldn't trigger even in test. So, I figured the problem was with the shoe. After about 20 mins in the warm room the shoe came back from the dead and started working flawlessly. I tested it thoroughly and now it works fine.

So, what do you think I should do? I'm a long time user of the Metz flashes (I have 6 of them) and I find it hard to go to a Canon model.
Do you have any stories shooting with flash in very low temps?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow