Quality photo editing laptop?

Started Feb 20, 2009 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Senior MemberPosts: 1,840
Quality photo editing laptop?
Feb 20, 2009

I need to replace my current five year old laptop. Over the past five years, I started digital photography with a Nikon D70 and last year upgraded to a D300. Photo editing has become one of my major uses for the laptop.

I know that the best solution would be a high-quality screen with a desktop computer. However, I do not want to spend my time sitting in an "office" area when I'm at home; I want to join my family in the living room while I'm attending to my hobby. Hence the need for a laptop rather than a desktop.

I am looking for a laptop with at either a 1680x1050 or a 1920x1080 screen, which would get me in the 16" or 17" size. Weight is not a big issue; my current laptop is 7.5 pounds, and that's perfectly OK. I don't travel with it and don't need specially long battery life.

The thing I'm confused about is, how do I find a laptop with a screen that is highly suitable for photo editing. I have read about the Lenovo W700, but that seems to be well over $3000 when configured for photography. There is a version for $2500, which is my limit, but that seems to come with a lesser-quality screen.

I don't care about how the computer looks, it can look as a slab of concrete for all I care, as long as it does what it is supposed to do.

Are there any sub-$2500 laptops that you would recommend that have a sufficiently high resolution and are well-qualified for photo editing?

By the way, I intend to install Linux as my primary operating system, and rarely if ever use the Windows version that comes with it.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated,

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow