Started Feb 17, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Erwin Buske
Regular MemberPosts: 476
Like?
Revolutionary Innovation: Panansonic Lumix DMC-G1
Feb 17, 2009

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 stands apart in a crowed field of less than steller offerings this year. I respect Popular Photography for having the will to name the G-1 as its Camera of the Year. The G1 has also earned Imaging Resouces "Dave's Pick" status in multiple categories, earned the "Highly Recommended status in DP Review", and also won praise in the Luminous Landscape. Why such a cool reception on this forum?

This is an innovation, a camera that occupies much less real estate in the camera bag with lenses that are 1/4 the size of full frame sensor lenses. This is accomplished through the uses of the micro 4/3 sensor and a electronic viewfinder rather than the SLR concept. Lenses can be designed more efficiently without the compromises inherent in SLR designs where the rear of the lens needs to clear the mirror.

Although this camera is not perfect yet, it does offer much promise. I for one will buy a micro 4/3 camera soon. I am just waiting for the next wave of offerings so that a can pick up video capability (with features only possible with a non SLR camera--rapidly changing apeture and tru continuous autofocus) and hopefully a still more compact camera (Olympus?). Although I will keep my Nikon camera, Nikon will loose this 4/3 business because when it comes to innovation they are asleep at the wheel. So is Canon.
--
Erwin

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow