Started Feb 14, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bgbalx
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
K10D better than K20D
Feb 14, 2009

I just wanted to share my experience with both bodies. I used to just be a hobbyist, I originally had a pentax optio the first time I went to Europe and I took so many pics that I vowed to upgrade when i got back. I eventually decided on the K10 and over the past 2 years I have steadily shot more and more and feel like I take strides every month as far as my shooting and post processing go. I have always been a big fan of flickr as a forum to share and receive feedback with my photography. Last fall, one of my pictures on flickr of the University of Colorado's Folsom Field went viral and was posted on many various CU football fan forums. This in turn led to the athletic dept hiring me to shoot for them. Flickr gave me an opportunity to go semi-pro, which has been an amazing experience, and which has also allowed me to have the resources to try a lot of pentax equipment I wouldn't otherwise be able to. Because of this I have both a K10D and a K20D. I have been shooting with both now for about 6 months and I have to say that I am constantly happier with the results I get from the K10. I feel that the noise level on the K20, even at 100ISO is always higher, and even shooting RAW or JPEG with exactly the same settings, the K10 always gives me better images to work with in post process. I always thought higher resolution was better (especially I blow up images to 24 x 36 on a regular basis) but it seems it is not really worth it when the noise is so much worse. While I do like the upgrades to the menu, even that does not seem to make up for it. I always find myself reaching for the K10 unless I need both at the same time for multiple lens. I also love shooting HDR and I find that the K10 is far superior in this type of shooting because of the low noise. Sorry for the long note but I just wanted to put my two cents in.

Here is the image that launched my pro career, http://www.flickr.com/photos/benison/2740447150/

(it's a 5 exp handheld, something the pentax SLR's excel at due to the image stabilization) , and if you would like to see more of my work you can find it at http://www.flickr.com/benison

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
k10dNew
VPNNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow