Started Feb 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cynthia FarrWeinfeld
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,295
Like?
Restaurant Photography pics from December 6 img
Feb 13, 2009

Last week, I posted a thread about making the cover of Portland Magazine with one of my food photographs and so many people wrote and congratulated me, it was wonderful! But a few of you asked if I could post more images from that week of shooting at different restaurants for the magazine, and here they are!
First: Lobster Fra Diavolo with Broccolini:

and Lobster Paella:

and Filet Mignon with Lobster Mac-n-cheese:

and lobster newburg, which is probably the most boring of the dishes:

and Hake Bouillabaisse, which was the most delicious of them all, but I affectionately like to call it "the lump of fish":

What I discovered in my week of learning something about restaurant photography without such things as soft boxes, lighting other than candles and daylight, is that f/8 works pretty well to get the whole dish in focus (didn't do that in many of these, as you can see! lol!) and that using my kit 18-55mm lens and dear old Dad's K20D (now I have my own, thanks in large part to that assignment, using his great camera! Thanks Dad!) and taking longer exposures with natural light, I got the best results. My father, Paulf6, helped with so many of the images in the Photoshopping of them after the fact, as he does with so many of my images, and Bruce Bartrug, Babart here on this forum, helped immeasurably with so many aspects of the image that actually got me published:

He blurred the background, sharpened selectively and made the image look fab after I sent him the initial image PSd the best I could do!

The photos have much the same look in each one, as I was A) just learning how to do this gig, and B) they wanted cover orientation (vertical) with space for words on the sides and for the magazine logo at the top! So, they look a bit weird without type on them, I'm sure. But I'm happy--it was really fun and frenetic and I learned a lot! Thanks for looking as always, Cindy

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow