Canon's Dust & Water-resistant lens construction spects are......

Started Feb 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David_C
Contributing MemberPosts: 931
Like?
Canon's Dust & Water-resistant lens construction spects are......
Feb 12, 2009

I have a Canon lens brochure from about 2 years ago. In the back is gives a description of all the little icons under each lens. Such as "IS" or "USM", etc.

One of the icons is "DW-R", for Dust & Water-resistant", and then the brochure goes on to explain in 2 paragraphs, more detail. Keep in mind, the little icon is associated with more than the super telephoto lenses. And I quote:

"The EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 500mm f/4L IS USM, EF 600mm f/4L IS USM lenses and subsequent L-series lenses are highly dust and water-resistant. The switch panel, exterior seams, and drop-in filter compartment have rubber linings. Moving parts such as the focusing ring and switches are also designed to prevent water and dust from entering. These lenses can therefore be used in harsh conditions without dust and water getting inside.

The lens is equipped with a rubber ring on the mount to improve its dustproofing and waterproofing characteristics. As the lens is repeatedly mounted and detached, the rubber ring will leave fine abrasion marks on the outside of the camera mount. This will not effect operation."

And then the brochure shows a picture of a lens getting rained on with big rain drops.

Now I expect the 1D series to meet the same description for dust and water-resistant, otherwise what would be the point of having these lenses.

All I'm asking Canon to do is make a 5D2 size body with the same dust and water-resistant properties.

Dave

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow