Started Feb 8, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
StrangeWorld
Regular MemberPosts: 347
Like?
Questions about back focusing
Feb 8, 2009

I've noticed lately that a LOT of my shots are missing focus. I've had two cameras in my life time. One was an old analog EOS, the 650 I believe and for about 3/4 of a year now, I've had the 30D. Having the camera not auto focus properly had BY FAR always been the exception to the rule until lately. The last two or three times I went out to shoot a whole lot of photos, I noticed that I was getting WAY too many shots that were not focused properly. Having never experienced this before, I wondered what in the heck I was doing wrong all of the sudden. Some of these were action shots and I thought maybe I just wasn't using a fast enough shutter speed. Upon closer inspection lately, I'm seeing that the shots that are no good, actually DO have a focused part in the image and it's usually behind whatever it was that I was actually focusing on.

In emergencies I've tried manual focusing and found out that these old eyes, looking through that tiny little viewfinder just aren't what they used to be.

It appears that this back focusing problem starts to rear it's ugly head when shooting anything beyond say about 5-6 feet away from the camera. At distances closer than that, the correct focus appears to still be achieved in most instances.

This is extremely worrisome and frustrating to me. I have never before even had to think about whether or not the camera was going to auto focus properly.

Please excuse my ignorance on this issue as I ask these questions:

1. Is back focusing a camera problem or a lens problem? The only lens I have ever used on both the analog and digital is the first version of the Canon 50mm 1.8.

2. Can a camera(my 30D), be focusing fine for most of a year and then all of the sudden start back focusing? This doesn't make any sense to me.

3. I mentioned that the problem seems to happen usually at distances beyond 5 feet. If I have the focus problem corrected for the more distant shots, will the closer shots then be in trouble?

4. For those of you that have been through this experience or know a lot about it. What should my next step be?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow