Started Feb 8, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cameron Habib
Contributing MemberPosts: 750Gear list
Like?
Overwhelmed by paper selection
Feb 8, 2009

As part of a project for a university art program, I am printing and framing roughly 15-20 large prints. Since I have an Epson Pro 3800, and most of the shots were taken with a 12+MP camera (D3), I figure 17x22 should be ok. Pictures will all be mounted and framed, unknown at this point if I will be mounting behind glass or not.

The problem I'm facing is in my paper selection. I spent some time today looking over various paper options, but I think I walked away more confused then I went in.

Subject matter is going to vary widely, but they must all use the same paper. No portraits, but a good deal of architecture, city shots, landscapes, industrial, nature, and still life. I have ruled out a full glossy paper, as well as a canvas. Paper must come in sheets cut to size.

What I am looking for is a paper that is a smooth matte. I would like to avoid a fully textured paper, and would rather go for something more uniform. I want images to have a relaxed look, yet still retain sharpness and deffiniton. Some possible papers I have in my collection, but have yet to use, are the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl and Fine Art Pearl (neither of which actually look like a traditional pearl paper) as well as Moab Colorado Satin and Lasal Photo Matte. I have not had a chance to take a look at any of the Epson Professional papers, although I have heard excellent reviews of the Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper.

Any advice or direction you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
--
http://www.camhabib.com
http://blog.camhabib.com

Cameron Habib's gear list:Cameron Habib's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow