Soft proof/prntr profile surprise and ??

Started Feb 3, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Johnny B
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?
Soft proof/prntr profile surprise and ??
Feb 3, 2009

Hi Folks,

I am printing a photograph shot in the dim NYC subway and I am surprised by something. I soft proofed the image using the Epson 1440 MK profile for my 2200 printer and noticed that the shadow areas got a bit blotchy and a little blocked up in on-screen viewing, and the print lacked the subtle shadow separation visible before soft proofing as well.

Although it didn't make sense to me, I tried soft proofing with the Adobe 1998 profile (the space that the file uses) and printing with the Epson 1440 profile. The shadows have more separation and the color is a little more saturated.

I am surprised by this because the printer driver is using the same profile, and I thought that soft proofing only changed the image's on-screen appearance, not the values being sent to the printer driver.

Can someone enlighten me? Does soft proofing actually shift the values of the image as it's fed to the printer? I haven't seen discussion of this mixed use of profiles - have I discovered something, or is this a fluke experience?

Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow