*** EF 50mm f / 1.2L USM *** for 5DmkII, your Idea ??

Started Feb 1, 2009 | Discussions thread
billppw350z
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?
Low Light…Shallow DoF…Get the 50 1.2L
In reply to Golpesar, Feb 3, 2009

The 50 1.2L has been my favorite walk around/street prime lens on my 1DsIII, and my favorite portrait lens on my crop camera since I got it in December of 2006. It has extraordinary auto focusing ability in low light. I find it very usable at f1.2, and although I know the “focus shift” problem is there, I’ve never experienced it in real world photography.

The only other 50mm I’ve used on a Canon is the 50 1.4. From my experience the 50 1.2L has better bokeh, color/contrast at all apertures, and of course better build quality than the 50 1.4. The auto focus accuracy/consistency of the L is much better than the 1.4 wider than f2.8 (as good as my other L primes), and they are about the same smaller than f2.8. Both lenses are sharp. The L is noticeably sharper wider than f2, somewhere between f2 and f2.8 they become the same, and I can’t see a difference smaller than f2.8.

A couple of non-studio portraits at f1.8 on a crop camera:

A couple of car badges at f1.2 on my 1DsIII. The first from three feet away, and the second from two feet away:

Good luck with whichever lens you choose.
--
Bill
I’m no expert; I just like to take pictures and share them with strangers
http://billppw350z.smugmug.com/

billppw350z's gear list:billppw350z's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow