broken Nikkor 24-70/2.8

Started Mar 29, 2008 | Discussions thread
MichaelGPhoto
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: broken Nikkor 24-70/2.8
In reply to thomas2279, Feb 2, 2009

I just posted this msg on the Nikon Lens forum as a new thread...

This happened yesterday. My D300 w/ 24-70mm f2.8 lens was in my backpack on the kitchen counter. I returned to the dining room table to get something else for my planned day-trip photo excursion. I heard a noise. The weight in the pack shifted, and the pack fell to the floor. There was a sharp thud. Ewww, I thought as my heart 'sank'. The 24-70mm had split! The mount was still on the camera, but where the mount is screwed into the lens barrel, the screws pulled right out of the lens barrel, no doubt stripping the threads. The screws appeared unharmed. (In addition, the aperture bar appears to have scratched a now-exposed glass element. Finally, an electronic connector tape sheared.)

I would call this a fragile lens. Wouldn't it have been nicer if the screws got stripped and the lens barrel emerged unscathed! I've had this lens +- 12 months.

The lens is now (next day) on its way to the El Segundo Repair facility. We could take bets on the cost, I suppose.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow