Started Feb 2, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jair Rivera
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
Yet another 50D vs. 40D debate....
Feb 2, 2009

So according to the dpreview.com comparision between the 2 (great) cameras, the 40D has a better DR, but they also found out that the RAW files from the 50D actually have a lot more of dynamic range when PP in ACR.

The 40D max DR in ACR is "almost 11 stops" with an amazing "1 EV extra stop in the highlights" BUT the 50D has 11.8 EV stops in ACR with 1.8 EV (80% more) extra range in the highlights.

That just got me thinking 3 things:

1.- The in-camera processing of the DIG!C III is better in the DR issue than the DIG!C IV.

2.- Therefore, the sensor is not worse in the 50D, but the processor doesn´t make justice to it (as the lenses), and in reality the DR of the 50D is better than in the 40D.

3.- The 50D is a great camera, i love mine, i also love the 40D and of course, i need to learn a lot more about photography to squeeze the juice out of this baby.

So, with the newer versions of ACR, and the brush adjustments, graduated filters etc. the 50D has wider DR and endless posibilities on creativity. greetings to us all.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow