dieselnyc wrote:

Nice shots.

You can get an inexpensive umbrella and stand to mount the flash
externally. Check out http://www.bhphoto.com

-- hide signature --

A700 & A100 w/ SAL 18-250 / KM 28-75 2.8 / KM 50mm 1.7, 3600HS /
HVL-F58AM
828 / 717 / u20 / canon s45 / canon sd10 / nikon 2500

It seems between this and the other comments, you have gotten all the advice I would give.

To recap:

Use a diffuser umbrella and either bounce or shoot through as the main light (using the 58 wirelessly), with your pop up flash being the fill. This is a very basic two light system, but it does a good job.

Shoot at the long end of the lens you were using. I prefer shooting between 70-100 or so, myself.

Back them away from the wall a bit, so there is no flash on the wall, and the wall is out of focus and just the splash of color, with no detail. This is one of the reasons why a longer focal length is helpful (Reason #1- It compresses facial features. Reason #2- It limits the background, so it is not cluttered

Reason #3- It makes for a shallower depth of field, so only the kids are in focus)

Process the RAW and tweak it from the beginning... you'll be amazed at how big a difference even slight tweaks can make

All in all, very good shots and all of these are suggestions to help improve the technique; you already have something going, so it will hopefully just add to what you have now.
--
Gear:

A700, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 28-75, Beercan, 50 f/1.7, 85 f/1.4 G, Tamron 90mm Macro, Minolta 135mm 2.8, 200mm 2.8, 3600

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow