Started Jan 27, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kevin dooley
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
is this the end of our industry
Jan 27, 2009

As a wedding business owner for over 26 years I have seen and experienced a lot of changes and have had to readapt to the business many times. However, I am starting to have big concerns that the latest trends may change the wedding photography business to the point of no return.

At one point in time a wedding photographer was a respected artist, and had an opportunity to become very successful and make a good life for himself. However I am starting to become concerned if that will remain the case.

Maybe its just a problem in my part of the country, but I have never seen such a battle among the photographers.

Just yesterday I lost a booked wedding to another studio that has less then two years in business. I asked the client why? After visiting several studios including myself and getting them to bargain and reduce prices, the client finally got what they wanted, Just about everything for free including several future family sessions that will include free high res images. Yes this photographer will be working for free and giving the images to the client for free. Yet they do claim to be a pro studio.

At a bridal fair this last weekend a good majority of the vendors were photographers, and after looking at the prices, I realized that the full time studios in our area is in trouble. That a strong possibility of wedding photographers that provide full service studios, quality products, and great service may become a thing of the past.

I talked to one studio that is shooting for unlimited time, includes the high res images, over a hundred small prints, a wedding album, several 8x10s, several framed prints, an engagement session, a guest book from the engagement session and the high res images from the engagement session, all for under 1500.00 .

with the quality products that we carry, I cant even get all that for the same price at my cost let alone make any profit.
And yes we lose several weddings to this photographer.

I know the response, gee you dont want that bride anyway. However we are seeing an overwhelming number of brides that are expecting these kind of prices. That are losing the respect of the wedding photographer, that dont seem to care about quality albums and prints.

So I ask these questions, Is this the end of the wedding industry for true professional photographers? Will brides suffer and expect less in wedding photography, Will bride eventually think professional wedding photographer is

not a part of the wedding? Will photographers have to pay brides to get the honor of photographing their wedding?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow