Started Jan 26, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
deuxcent
Senior MemberPosts: 1,319Gear list
Like?
everyone's a photographer
Jan 26, 2009

So my assistant and I are at this pretty busy wedding show, and we're exhibiting opposite the booth of a chocolate and cake purveyor that I don't think I'd seen before. Part of their display is a so-so photo of a bride and her father in a church. It doesn't hit me until at least an hour into the event, when I take a better look, that that was one of my weddings. It's not my photo, but I totally recognize the bride and her dad and the location. Their names come to me in a flash. I shot that wedding. Weird.

An hour or two later, when the hubbub has died down, I saunter over to politely introduce myself. Pleasantries are exchanged, and then I have to ask about the photo. "Oh yeah," says the baker with a measure of pride, "I took that shot. We now do photography too."

Turns out she means that in addition to dipping strawberries in chocolate and decorating cream puffs, she has added a new service for her clients: taking wedding photos.

Huh.

This could be a bit of a trend — at the same show, the pushy tuxedo people are trying to get grooms to sign up with promises of a discount on photographic services, which they now also provide.

Huh, squared.

It's certainly possible that one day, a tuxedo salesman or a cake baker is going to pick up a camera and make five hundred wedding photos so beautiful they make strangers weep.

Likely, however? I don't know — what do you think?

I promise you this: For as long as I can lift a camera to my face, I'm going to make photos that will make my clients weak of knee and moist of eye, and determined to recommend me to anyone who will listen. I won't conflate this with possibly doomed attempts to sell tuxedos or bonbons or pretty lace handkerchiefs.

To each, as they say, his own.

deuxcent's gear list:deuxcent's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow