Started Jan 24, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ohcello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,516Gear list
Like?
50D vs. 5D - My test
Jan 24, 2009

OK so I was able to test out both bodies with the same lens to see just how much more fine detail the 5D had vs. the 50D. Here are my results.

The 50mm f/1.4 @f/5.6 and @f/10 was used. The 50D image was resized down to 12mp. I backed up with the 50D to get the same FOV.

Both images were converted from RAW using DPP. I applied sharpening to both, but a bit more to the 50D image as it was able to take just a bit more sharpening than the 5D (I know this might be 'cheating' a little bit, that in reality, that is what I would do to my images anyway).

From what I see here, the 5D is the clear winner, no surprises... however in some spots, with a bit of sharpening, the 50D comes much closer than the 40D might have in my opinion. The 50D's images at 15mp are softish, but take sharpening quite well, IMO.

Bottom line is that with the 50D, I'm giving up some fine detail and very large print capability.

50D on the LEFT, 5D on the RIGHT

ohcello's gear list:ohcello's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow